Lover is the third track, title track and third released single of Taylor Swift's seventh album Lover. It was released on August 23, 2019.
Meaning and Background
Taylor said the following about the song: "I'm really, really proud of this song, because it's always been very hard for me to write love songs that weren't about love, and like, pining, love and secrecy, love and fear. If I wasn't writing 'Love Story,' which wasn't even about my own life; like really, it was about movies I had seen, and Romeo and Juliet, and sort of a fragment of it was my own life. But, I haven't really been able to write a pure 'Oh my god I love you' love song, and this is the one that I'm the most proud of. So this song is like that. And basically, I wanted it to sort of exist in a timeless era, where you wouldn't be able to guess if it was being played at a wedding reception in 1980 or 1970 or now. So, there were no instruments that we used that were new instruments since things that were invented post 70s. And so, I kind of wrote the bridge as if they were vows. You know how when people write their vows and they sort of, like, customize them; I kind of wanted to do that in the bridge of this song."
The music video was released on August 15, 2019. It was directed by Taylor and Drew Kirsch. Taylor's love interest is played by dancer Christian Owens.
The video starts out with a child sitting next to a Christmas tree. She's holding a gift: it's a snow globe with a house inside. The camera zooms in on the house and shows Taylor and her lover standing in an hallway full of lights. Next, they're seen in a green room that the guy is decorating and where they sit on the couch. In a yellow room, Taylor and her lover sit on the ceiling, while the furniture stands on the ground. Here they play games. In the red room, Taylor and her lover are slow dancing. Later, a party takes while while Taylor plays guitar. In the blue room, they swim in a fish bowl. The pink room is the bed room. The black room is the attic, where Taylor and her lover watch movies. Another blue room is the dinner room. They end up dancing in every room. The video ends with the child holding the snow globe with the house. She's revealed to be Taylor and her lover's daughter.
- Taylor called this her favorite song she has ever written.
- One of the games Taylor and her lover play is 'devils role the dice', a lyrics from Cruel Summer.
- On a scrabble game, Afterglow is spelled out, another Lover song.
- There's a theory that every room represents one of Taylor's albums, including the two albums she released after this. This is confirmed as Taylor liked the theory on Tumblr and Twitter.
Awards & Nominations
|2020||ADG Excellence in Production Design Award||Short Format: Web Series, Music Video, or Commercial||Nominated|
|Camerimage International Film Festival||Best Music Video||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography in a Music Video||Nominated|
|Grammy Awards||Song of the Year||Nominated|
|iHeartRadio Music Awards||Best Remix||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Pop||Nominated|
|Best Art Direction||Nominated|
|MPVA Awards||Best Production Design in a Video||Pending|
|Myx Music Awards||Favorite International Video||Nominated|
|RTHK International Pop Poll Awards||Top 10 International Gold Song||Nominated|
|Webby Awards||Best Art Direction||Won|
- Taylor Swift Shares Intimate Details of 'Lover' Songs During Secret Session | iHeartRadio - https://www.iheart.com/content/2019-08-23-taylor-swift-shares-intimate-details-of-lover-songs-during-secret-session/
- Radio 1 Live Lounge Taylor Swift
- Tweets liked by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13) / Twitter - https://twitter.com/swifolkfolk/status/1337273278017097728/photo/1