Look What You Made Me Do is the sixth track and lead single of Taylor Swift's sixth album reputation. It was released on August 25, 2017.
Meaning and Background
The song was announced along with the album, a day before it's release. It is heavily speculated to be about Kanye West, who she had in a huge (public) feud with in 2016.
The song started out as a poem Taylor had written about her feelings at the time:
"It had all the verses in it just as is. When the beat hit we were like, ‘Oooh! Look what you made me do! Look what you made me do!!’ and we were just like, ‘Oh my God, we need to edit out the rest of the words. Just do that.'”.
Taylor said that she saw the song through a Game of Thrones filter, she mentioned that it's literally Ayra Stark's kill list.
- The song got 8 million streams within 24 hours on Spotify, breaking the record at the time for the highest first-day streaming for a song.
- The song became a number one single on the Billboard Hot 100, her fifth single doing so.
- The song samples "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred.
- A cover of the song was made by Taylor's brother Austin for the show Killing Eve, under the pseudonym Jack Leopards & the Dolphin Club. Taylor is credited as a producer with her pseudonym Nils Sjöberg.
- This was likely done to prevent Taylor's old record or Scooter Brown from earning of it.
- The lyric "Sorry, the old X can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, because (s)he's dead" became a meme.
- The song samples the beat from the movie Mean Girls, which is a reference to people calling her Regina George, the antagonist of the movie.
The music video was released on August 27, 2017 at the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards. The video shows what she'd be like if everything the media writes about her is true.
The video starts out on a grave yard, with a zombie Taylor coming out of the grave that says "here Lies Taylor Swift's reputation". She starts to bury her old (2014 MET Gala) self. The scene switches to Taylor in a bathtub filled with diamonds and wearing a lot of jewelry. Next, she sits on a throne with snakes all around her. Then, she's in a car crash. The car is on fire and she holds a Grammy, posing for the paparazzi around her. Next scene, she's swinging in a giant bird cage and has dinner. Taylor then robs a bank, along with 4 other women wearing cat masks. Next, she's leading an army of models. She's then in a room dancing along with eight men, who also serve her. Then, she's standing on top of a pile old Taylors tring to reach her. She kicks the old Taylors down, and as they fall, Taylor is seen calling on the phone, telling someone "Sorry, the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, because she's dead". There's a line of old Taylor's arguing:
- You Belong With Me Taylor
- You guys!
- Out of the Woods zombie Taylor
- Stop making that surprised face. It's so annoying.
- Shake It Off Taylor
- Yeah, you can't possibly be that surprised all the time.
- LWYMMD Dancer Taylor
- What's with that bitch?
- Out of the Woods zombie Taylor
- Don't call me that.
- Fearless Tour Taylor
- Red Tour Taylor
- Oh, stop acting like you're all nice. You are SO fake.
- Fearless Tour Taylor
- LWYMMD Biker Taylor
- Oh, there she goes, playing the victim again.
- 2014 Met Gala Taylor
- What are you doing?
- LWYMMD Cheetah Jacket Taylor
- (on her phone) Getting receipts! I'm gonna edit this later.
- 2009 VMA Taylor
- I would very much like to be excluded from this narrative.
- SHUT UP!
- At the time, the video broke the record for most views within 24 hours with 43.2 million views.
- The video is full of hidden messages and references, some of the biggest ones listed below:
- Zombie Taylor is wearing the dress from Out of the Woods. This was the last music video released of her previous album. After this, she got into a feud with Kanye West and caused many people to "cancel" her, saying her career is over. Here, Taylor comes out of that grave.
- The name Nils Sjöberg is engraved on one of the gravestones, Taylor pseudonym for when she co-wrote Calvin Harris' This is What You Came For.
- During the bathtub scene, a one-dollar bill can be seen lying among the diamonds. This references to the case Taylor won against DJ David Mueller. The DJ had groped her under her dress during a Meet & Greet. Taylor's team told his radio station and he got fired. He filled a $3 million lawsuit over it. Taylor countersued him for $1 and won the case.
- Taylor being surrounded by snakes references to people flooding Taylor's social media with snake emojis during the feud with Kanye West.
- Taylor robs a bank called "Stream Co.". This is a reference to Taylor calling out streaming companies for underpaying (new/minor) artists and people thinking that she just wants their money.
- Taylor leading an army of women references to the media criticizing Taylor's friend group for being full of tall, skinny, attractive women and calling it a cult.
- The eight men wearing "I <3 TS" shirts seems to reference her ex-boyfriends; she has eight famous exes and Tom Hiddleston was seen wearing a "I <3 TS shirt". The shirts also reference how the media accused her of forcing Tom to wear it.
- During the conversation of old Taylor's, You Belong With Me Taylor gets criticized for her surprise face. Taylor often makes this surprised face, especially after winning awards, which people have made comments about it being annoying and fake.
- The You Belong With Me Taylor is wearing a shirt with her friends' names written on it: Gigi Hadid, Martha Hunt, Abigail Anderson, Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds, Claire Kislinger, Ed Sheeran, Selena Gomez, Lena Dunham, the HAIM sisters, Todrick Hall and more.
- The line "Oh, there she goes, playing the victim again" references people thinking that she's always playing the victim.
- The line "Getting receipts! I'm gonna edit this later." is a reference to Kanye and Kim recording and editing the phone call about Kanye's song Famous.
- The line "I would very much like to be excluded from this narrative" (said by 2009 VMA Taylor, where Kanye interrupted her speech) is what Taylor ended her statement about the released phone call with Kanye West with. The internet mocked her for it and it became a meme.
Awards & Nominations
|2017||BreakTudo Awards||Best Video||Nominated|
|BreakTudo Awards||International Video||Nominated|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Video||Nominated|
|NRJ Music Awards||Video of the Year||Nominated|
|2018||BMI London Awards||Pop Award||Won|
|Hito Music Awards||Best Western Song||Won|
|iHeartRadio Music Awards||Best Lyrics||Nominated|
|Best Music Video||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Art Direction||Nominated|
|Best Visual Effects||Nominated|
|MTV Millennial Awards Brazil||International Hit||Nominated|
|Myx Music Awards||Favourite International Video||Nominated|
|Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Favourite Song||Nominated|
|NME Awards||Best Music Video||Nominated|
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Song To Lip-Sync To||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Song by a Female Artist||Nominated|
|2019||BMI Pop Awards||BMI Award||Won|
|TEC Awards||Best Record Production / Single or Track||Nominated|
- Taylor Swift's 'Reputation': 10 things we learned from the secret sessions | Hypable - https://www.hypable.com/taylor-swift-reputation-secret-sessions/
- Taylor Swift reveals how Game of Thrones inspired Reputation | EW.com - www.ew.com/music/2019/05/09/taylor-swift-game-of-thrones-reputation/
- Apple Music Interview