...Ready for It? is the first track and second single of Taylor Swift's sixth album reputation. It was released on September 3, 2017.
Meaning and Background
On September 2nd, an one-minute snippet was heard in an ESPN commercial during a college football game. The song was released the next day. The music video was released on October 27, 2017.
“‘…Ready For It?’ kind of introduces a metaphor where it talks about robbers, thieves and heists and all that. I found that to be a really interesting metaphor, but twisted in different ways throughout the album.”Taylor about ...Ready For It?
The song is about Taylor's reputation and about her current relationship.
- The song title was hinted at in an Instagram caption on August 25, 2017, where Taylor announced the release of Look What You Made Me Do.
- The line "Burton to this Taylor" refers to actor couple Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, who the Wildest Dreams music video was also based on.
The music video was released on October 27, 2017. It was shot on August 21, 2017. The video was directed by Joseph Kahn.
The video starts out with hooded Taylor, walking through an alley past several guards. She types in a code, which opens a door to a room where she finds a naked cyborg Taylor. They can't reach each other, there's a glass cell wall in between them. The hooded Taylor starts to control the cyborg from outside: the cyborg starts wearing armour, then sits on a white horse and then starts to float with flickers of energy around her. Hooded Taylor touches the cell wall and the cyborg is knocked down to the ground. The the cyborg stands up and shoots lightning bolts from her hand. Next, both cyborg Taylor and hooded Taylor put their hands on the cell wall. Cyborg Taylor takes hooded Taylor's powers and breaks the wall; pieces of glass cut through hooded Taylor's face and peel her human skin of. The hooded walks to the top of an escalator while guards try to get her and lightning shoots from her face. Cyborg Taylor is then seen standing on the escalator's alone, both hooded Taylor and the guards are gone.
- The music video represents how the media views Taylor.
- Lyrics from several reputation songs can be seen in the music video, like on the walls.
- Taylor jokes about this in the behind the scenes video: "If I forgot all the lyrics to my new album, I'd be good, 'cause they're written all over the walls".
- There are a few references to Joe Alwyn's birthdate:
- The numbers 89 en 91 are written on the walls; Taylor was born in 1989 en Joe in 1991.
- The code to cyborg Taylor's room is 21; Joe's birthday is February 21.
Awards & Nominations
|2019||BMI Pop Awards||BMI Award||Won|
- Taylor Swift's 'Reputation': 10 things we learned from the secret sessions | Hypable - https://www.hypable.com/taylor-swift-reputation-secret-sessions/